[linux-audio-dev] jack and alsa design issue

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 17:24:01 EET

I'm writing an application that will use alsa in the common case, but be
jack-capable. I'm faced with the following design question: Do I wrap
the jack part to emulate the read/write of alsa, or do I wrap the alsa
part to emulate the callback style of jack? In other words, do I push or
pull from the audio segment of the program?

As I understand it, alsa can be asynchronous but it requires using SIGIO
which doesn't excite me. So I'd have to create another thread that
selects and fills a ringbuffer.

To adapt jack, I'd have a ringbuffer which is drained when the program
pulls the audio.

Adapting Jack seems the easier thing to do, but what do you think?