Re: [linux-audio-dev] Other real-time options

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 20:52:47 EEST

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:32, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 05:12 -0400, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> > Right now, Con's patch does 1 and 3, while Ingo's does 1 and 2 (though
> > Con says Ingo's patch could also do 3).
>
> Ingo's patch allows 3 to be done in userspace, by an "RT watchdog"
> process that runs as root, and wakes occasionally to check for runaway
> RT tasks & kill or demote them.
>
> > Would people here be happy with
> > any of those and try to convince kernel developers that there's really a
> > need for real-time (some still aren't convinced) and that one of these
> > solution is acceptable?
> >

> I think they are already convinced. It looks like Ingo's solution will
> get merged (it's in -mm already).

Hmmm, I'm getting really confused, I thought that the realtime lsm was
the one that was in 'mm (maybe none of them are?). Finally I found the
followup article on lwn that mentioned this:

  http://lwn.net/Articles/121887/

"...The end result is that the rlimit patch has come back out of -mm..."

Maybe it was put back again afterwards? (this was reported on February
10). Hard to follow all that's happening...

-- Fernando