Re: [linux-audio-dev] This is what its all about.

From: Iain Duncan <iainduncan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 01:44:34 EEST

That's cool! This is not meant to blow our own horns, but rather let
people know we're available. XORNOT ( myself and Glyn Gibson ) also do a
csound & linux only live techno show. We just did our third set last
week here in Vancouver, using Csound5 ( yup that would include your work
Erik! ) and Gentoo.

Ours is a bit more live-techno oriented, nothing is prerecorded, it's
all sequenced off of sequencing tools we wrote in Csound, and all
synthesis, effects, and mixing are in Csound. When writing we use gvim
with a wack of custon python extensions. The only non-csound noises are
drum samples, but we will be tackling that later too. Probably the most
interesting feature to nerds is that we don't ever look at the computer
or use keyboard/mouse, everything is controlled by midi hardware using a
midi parser and input modules of our own devising allowing us to very
quickly change just about anything with multiple input streams for the
two users. The sound is deep and dubby funk influenced tech-house I guess.

Future plans include custom hardware programmed with PICs using the GNU
pic stuff, and adding a second computer to do post processing and live
mastering with LADPSA plugins for final sub-mixing/eq/compression. Also
we will be publishing all tracks and source code used on line under GPL
and Creative Commons Licenses of some sort. ( Our python score
pre-processing utilility designed specifically for arranging techno is
already up on our site. ) We are also looking into making custom
live-cds with something like Dynebolic/Agnula plus Csound5 and our own
FLTK front end so that others can try out the set rig on any fast
commodity PC and get an idea of how the interface works with an FLTK
hardware mockup. We are also planning to do a four track self release ep
this year, which will be produced on Ardour/LADSPA/Jammin.

We will be doing a bunch of shows here in Vancouver this spring and
summer, details will be available on our web site and you can also get
on our mailing list. I am also interested in doing seminar/shows in
which we demonstrate how we are working, what tools we're using, discuss
linux audio, and then rock out. A friend from Active State wants to get
something going this summer, and if anyone else is interested in this
kind of thing and travel expenses can be covered from Vancouver, B.C.,
we're available!

A massive thanks to all you hard working developers who have made this
possible!

Iain
http://www.xornot.com
iain@email-addr-hidden