Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracktion, JUCE and Linux

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 17:04:29 EEST

>Oh god - I said I wouldn't get drawn into a licensing discussion here..
>Ok, this is my last post on the subject - I find writing code more
>satisfying than discussing the finer philosophical points of it.

me too, but your project is unusual in this regard, though far from
unprecedented (Qt being the obvious prior art :). and since it
represents the kind of stuff that many of us are interested in
... here we are :))

>I'm certainly not trying to exploit anyone here - this isn't

i certainly wasn't trying to suggest that. i think that what you've
done with JUCE is great and admirable. there's no reason other than
good intent for you to have released this under the GPL, and i thank
you for it.

>big-business. Imagine if someone did write an entire linux audio/midi
>system for me, and if I included it verbatim in Juce. It'd make up
>perhaps 0.1% of the total code. So even if I sold as many as 100

the amount is irrelevant. my concern wasn't about someone getting rich
from my work, it was about the principle of someone being able to use
my work in a way that doesn't reciprocate in either an open-source/GPL
or a financial way. i just see that as wrong even if the financial
amounts would be small, but i don't require that people agree with me.

--p "ardour ported to JUCE, coming ... not" :)