Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracktion, JUCE and Linux

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 17:19:41 EEST

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 15:44, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:12:29PM +0100, Julian Storer wrote:
> > if you own the copyright to something, you can release it under as many
> > licenses as you like..
> I'm not an expert on this, and can only assume you're right about that.
> Q. Suppose I write something and transfer copyright to you, as
> required for your project. Can I then still release the same code
> under the GPL ? I'd guess not, since I gave up my rights to it.
> That would probably stop me from contributing...

Thats the difference between the copyright (as in copy) and the ownership.
This is clearly parted in the german law at least and called Urheberrecht vs.
Verwertungsrechte. Since you are the one who wrote the code, you are the one
who can sell it / license it to whoever you want, GPL and not-GPL. The one
who gets licensed code from you must obey to the license you sold it under.
If you decide to sell/give your code to someone for business use you are
still allowed to "sell" your own code under the GPL for public use.

But, I am not a laywer, I just have a dad who works in arts and has to deal
with ownership vs. licensing/copyrights.

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be