Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Concept Addition

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 23:14:10 EEST

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 09:35:50PM +0200, Tim Orford wrote:

> perhaps you might not want them in sync. And, eg, a tempo
> setting of 50%, would be very handy, even for 4/4'ers like me.

If you don't want them to be in sync, just don't put
one into the other (of course there could be an option
to break sync even with nested meter containers, but that
would be in conflict with the whole concept. The relation
parent-child and the visualization would loose meaning).

And of course there should be a global (or per absolute time /
transport control container, not sure) % tempo control.

> i dont think i explained myself properly. Can i for example
> in your mockup, change from 4/4 to 3/4 at bar 3 *within*
> the existing yellow container. I think that would be
> neccesary and I'm sure thats what you had in mind.

To be honest: no, that was not my original idea. But it
could be made possible, and would be more practical.
Good point.

> I'm not familiar with Garageband, but from the apple.com
> screenshots this appears to be a watered down feature of
> Logic, where you can have an arbitrary number of arbitrarily
> positioned windows showing these "details" (linked edit
> windows).

Aha, good to know!

> But yes, i mostly agree:-)

Good :)