Re: [linux-audio-dev] Common synthesizer interface -or- microtonal alternative to MIDI?

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 20:50:06 EEST

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 06:57:43PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > My sequencer is going to be just that: a sequencer.
>
> That's actually quite a curious sentence! People have very different
> conceptions about what a sequencer is or what it should be.

As I work on the design of a hardware sequencer, I developed
the following definition:

A sequencer is a device for recording and playback of signals
with the possibility to arrange several recordings.

Recording can happen in realtime, step-wise or alternatively
happen through programming.

The Signal can be audio or control data.

To arrange refers to repeating, putting into sequence
and layering of recordings.

(A propably a bit rough translation from german)

---
Thorsten Wilms