Re: [linux-audio-dev] Common synthesizer interface -or- microtonal alternative to MIDI?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 01:59:40 EEST

Hallo,
Thorsten Wilms hat gesagt: // Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 06:57:43PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > That's actually quite a curious sentence! People have very different
> > conceptions about what a sequencer is or what it should be.
>
> As I work on the design of a hardware sequencer, I developed
> the following definition:
>
> A sequencer is a device for recording and playback of signals
> with the possibility to arrange several recordings.

One important feature still missing might be the "edit operation".
People use "sequencers" a lot to edit "stuff" (for a lack of a better
term) as well, where "editing" is a bit more complicated than just
"recording". Editing also includes changing already recorded events in
various ways. This could just mean "copy and paste", but more
interesting is the "modify" operation, that is, use various ways to
change the event sections at hand to create new "stuff" (like the
genetic "breeding" Dave is applying to the sequences.)

Ah, all this can get very complicated. The approach taken by Pd or
similar software is to give users tools to easily create their own
"sequencers", whatever these look like. But even traditional
sequencers offer modify operations like for example time or scale
quantization, which actually - if you think about it - is not a
trivial modification at all.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41