Re: [linux-audio-dev] Aeolus and OSC - comments requested

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 20:37:42 EEST

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 12:39:21PM -0400, Jesse Chappell wrote:

> OK, check out http://essej.net/sooperlooper/doc_osc.html
> and look at the Get parameters section, and the register for control
> changes section. Sorry for the confusing terminology, it's really
> pretty simple.

[ looks at the indicated page ]

Ok, I grok it now, thanks for the reference (and it _is_ simple :-)

You allow the client to request monitoring for each individual parameter
individually. This makes sense of course if the parameters refer to
dynamic objects, as the loops in SL. For Aeolus, the set of things
to be monitored would be fixed, and I imagine a client will want
them all, and can be assumed to know the formats.

You also allow the client to include a return address and OSC path
with each request. I have my doubts about the first: it allows the
client to use a different address for each call, and this could create
significant overhead for the server, having to lookup the hostnames.
The OSC return path probably makes sense in a dynamic environment as SL.

I'm now thinking of having

/addclient ,ss host:port prefix

where prefix would be string, e.g. /aeolus, that gets prepended to
all asynchronous update messages sent to this client, and to allow
a return OSC path parameter for information requests.

Thanks for your help !

--
FA