Re: Minimum reasonable latency Was: Re: ZynAddSubFX was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some new soundfiles on-line

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 03:21:37 EEST

Hi,

On Saturday 14 May 2005 12:57, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 11:58:45AM +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:
> > Eg in physics you feel the acceleration but not the speed.
> That's because you feel force, and we have F = m * a.

No, generally you feel the changing of the impuls which is also true while
moving with only little less than light speed. And as you can`t determine the
"real" absolute speed you have to assume that all of us are moving with
~c... ;-)

 (\me studying physics)

> > Of course some instrument players, especially those that play percussive
> > sounds are more sensitive than

But with not to long latencies you can compensate that.
I remember doing a powerpoint-presentation once where the slide-changes had to
come on-beat of the music while not being synchronised with midi etc. After
the first tests I actually recognised the latency of evil MS and compensated
it with clicking the button earlier...

> > others, but the question is how small is this time ? Is there scientific
> > data around that can state:
> > "if latency of the virtual percussion instrument is higher then X then
> > the instrument is unusable for 30% of professional musicians" ?

As far as my knowledge goes: more than 20ms are only usable for slow
strings/pads...

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be