[linux-audio-dev] Algorithm for displaying waveforms

From: Them <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 04:05:10 EEST

For a small application I am developing, I need to display waveforms
(read-only) from audio data loaded into my application using libsndfile.

My question is about displaying a waveform in a GUI window -- I have
searched around the net looking for general algorithms but haven't seen
anything that describes this. I haven't tried coding this yet, so I am
asking if someone can describe the basic algorithm or point me in the
right direction to a book, web site, the source file in Ardour or
whatever. Even just a high-level description of the basic algorithm
would be good -- I am thinking somewhere along the lines that I am
taking the values of samples and drawing line segments from point to point.

Thanks in advance!

-- Brett