Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Software controller for homemade edrums

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 20:40:11 EEST

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:24:32 +0200
Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi Florian,

Hi!

> I'm running Debian Sarge with a 2.4 kernel, and this libdsp which
> jack_convolve depends on is a real problem. libdsp needs nptl threading
> style, and that seems to require linux 2.6. I don't know if Debian
> supports nptl either.. I just can't compile libdsp.
>
> I'm not going to switch to 2.6 now. I don't have enough time.
>
> I tried removing the "DEFS += -DUSE_NPTL" line from the
> libdsp/DynThreads/Makefile, but it ends up complaining about a Mutex.hh
> file which does not seem to exists anywhere in the Debian distribution.
>
> Before all of that, I tried to use the libdsp0 and libdsp-dev Debian
> packages, but these are both from the 3.3.6 libdsp release, which
> jack_convolve does not seem to recognize.

For quick tests without libDSP you can tweak the jack_convolve Makefile
a little:

uncomment the

#COMPILE_FLAGS += -DC_CMUL

line and remove "-ldsp" from the LINK_FLAGS line. This will use an
unoptimized C complex multiplication implementation. jack_convolve will
use around 10-20% more cpu than with the libDSP implementation.

I also put the libDSP author on the CC list. Maybe he knows more about
your libDSP-specific problems. Indeed the version packaged with your
debian is too old. You need at least libDSP version 5.0.1 (earlier
versions miss the complex multiply and add function which is needed by
jack_convolve)..

Regards,
Flo

--