Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 19:12:03 EEST

>it "just worked" for him on OS X
>because Apple pick the audio interface.

yup, and they set the API standard, and they govern the distribution, and ..

this doesn't work on Linux. you can't herd sheep^H^H^H^H^Hpenguins
with a flamethrower.

>several people provided
>reference SuSE supported h/w configs for example - had he been using one
>of them, it would have "just worked". what jwz wants is what everybody
>else wants, and its an entirely reasonable thing to aim for - all
>supported audio devices are just plug-n-play. it doesn't work that way
>on OS X, it doesn't work that way on Windows, and being a stupid
>petulant geek who continues to try to trade his involvement in lucid
>emacs, netscape and mozilla as excuses for his bad temper doesn't get
>Linux any closer to the goal.

hmm .. not sure i agree that jwz is 'trading ones app-hubris for
brownies', i mean, maybe it'd be different if he'd written a
multi-track audio editor and -then- jumped to the same OSX-lovin'
conclusion ..

thing is though: he does have a point. why is this stuff still so
hard, after so many years? its -not- the drivers, imho, its the
moving-target nature of ALSA and all the competing audio API's,
underneath a pile of semi-working apps ..

>ALSA's biggest problem was that people like me shaped its design too
>much. I was trying to ensure that ALSA was useful for pro-audio setups,
>and I had little interest in the desktop story. There were no
>(sufficiently) vigorous advocates for that world as ALSA developed, and
>we are seeing the cost of that now.

in all fairness, if there were a hardware vendor willing to follow
the 'known working' path to ALSA glory, we wouldn't be having this
discussion .. or, at least, if we knew of such a vendor (i'm sure
they're out there, those quiet linux VAR's who pack it all up and
send it off, operational-like).

i mean .. i've been using linux since the minix-list post, and i'll
be damned if i can keep up with all this
ALSA/esd/OSS/jackd/artsserver voodoo that is expected of anyone
wanting to get audio working in linux, at the same/similar degree of
operational status as we see under OSX .. even though, i'm very, very
eager to see linux function as a working audio platform. there's
gotta be -some- way to get it all working, and i dont just mean "buy
a Dell laptop" ..

--
;
Jay Vaughan