Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 02:51:36 EEST

>Actually, I find it difficult to find anything in ALSA to confirm the idea
>that the requirements from the pro-audio users have had a negative impact
>on the system as a whole.

well, even after all-years use of Linux, and many, many years worth
of audio hacking, i don't personally see ALSA as good for anything
than an 'also-ran', yet.

i mean, give me a break. musicians using windows still jam waaaaay
more than the LAD crowd.

this isn't to say that linux-audio jamming isn't -FUN- .. just that
not as many 'privileged' are up to the task .. yet ..

>For professional use, you probably want to get as close as possible to
>the original data with nothing in between (i.e. the hw: devices).

professionals 'use what works', reliably. it doesn't matter whats
underneath, as long as it works.

linux audio has the bonus that, once it works, it works freakin' well.

just, try very hard not to keep it to yourself, if you think thats
worth anythin' ..

:)

>Now the main problem I see with ALSA for the 'desktop' users are in
>the control interfaces.

this isn't a linux situation, its an industry-wide situation. all
musical instruments are 'about control'.

ALSA won't progress beyond its current clique, until it recongizes
this fact, embraces it, implements it, extends it ..

>Maybe the idea of the driver providing a
>sort of description of the card (e.g. a list of control elements)
>and having this info interpreted by a generic mixer application was
>not the best one.

i tell you what, from my standpoint as a pro-audio type, i don't see
-ANYTHING- wrong with this, and perhaps this irony is what you're
getting hung up on: it just doesn't do this _ENOUGH_ to make it
worthwhile.

on one hand. on the other hand, there =are= excellent ALSA-app
examples out there. just not well sync'ed-enough promoted.

>It works in some cases, but breaks down easily
>when a card has different 'modes', in particular for surround.

the 'language' of the situation is what counts. i don't care if i
have to iteratively read /dev/asound, or 'clean a linked list full of
items', as long as, either way, the description is **standardized** ..

seems to me the ALSA crowd have 99% of the work done, if only they'd
get a bit more pimp about things and get the APP writers subscribed...

>For example it seems to be quite difficult to get a single volume
>control for all channels in a 5.1 setup, something a desktop audio
>user would take for granted.

actually, the average desktop user right now wouldn't give a crap
what audio-rate it is, as long as it sounded good and didn't
interrupt the jam. the average mac or pc user falls in this
category, as do the rock and roll stars.

ALSA, as do all API's, needs to step up to the promotion plate, else
it'll all be ignored and forgotten. don't ever forget that audio
also means rock 'n roll, and silent stderr just ain't rock 'n roll,
yo...

--
;
Jay Vaughan