Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 18:59:09 EEST

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:30:29 -0400
Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> true, but i take it you get the way CoreAudio is doing it: it means you
> can drive audio processing from a different interrupt source (e.g.
> system timer) because you have very accurate idea of the position of the
> h/w frame pointer. In CoreAudio, the "callback" is decoupled from any
> PCI, USB or ieee1394 interrupt. Tasty.

The price for this is afaik an extra period worth of latency. I'm not
sure this is the way to go. Sure it makes handling of devices easier
that do not generate irq's like pci soundcards do (all this USB and
IEEE1394 stuff), but isn't the price too high?

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/