[linux-audio-dev] alsa ethernet streaming?

From: Garett Shulman <shulmang@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 20:38:24 EEST

Hello, I would like push audio streams over ethernet and was wondering
what avenues people have tried. I intend to have two linux boxes (or
more). Box1 has the user interface and all of the audio data. Box2 has
no user interface and is plugged into an amplifier and speakers.
Eventually I would like to have many Box2's. I envision an application
with a server running on box2 and a client running on box1. Ideally the
client would create an ALSA input and the server would create an ALSA
output. Then, the client connects to the server, any ALSA enabled app
connects to the input created by the client, and audio is heard from the
speakers connected to the server. I have no expectations that such an
application actually exists. I'm curious as to what options do exists to
push audio over etherenet. -Garett