Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 01:29:50 EEST

Hallo,
Jay Vaughan hat gesagt: // Jay Vaughan wrote:

> why not, no matter whether the chipset is on-board, or in an external
> firewire case, present the -same- configuration of the audio-system,
> no matter what!
>
> *this* would be a pro approach. saying that its okay to have two
> different audio subsystem configs, because "most likely" (ack, spit!)
> there will be 'two different cards' involved .. this is so broken.

On my laptop, all my audio software I use on stage is configured to
use an external soundcard (hw:1) because it's much better quality,
whereas all my "desktop" audio software (alsaplayer etc.) is
configured to use the internal soundcard (hw:0), also because hw:1
might not always be available. I never had the feeling that this is
broken, it's just using each soundcard for what it's working best at.

Note that I never proposed this as a "solution" to desktop/pro
problems or as a "Best Practice", it's just something that might
become more common in the future as part of a natural evolution. I
already know a lot of people using more than one soundcard in their
box. The cheap onboard chip is just there, why ignore it just because
you also have an RME card inside?

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41