Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

From: fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 01:39:50 EEST

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:12:54PM +0200, Tim Orford wrote:

> As well as the difference between Pro/Amateur there is the
> Consumer/Producer divide. To anyone who isnt involved in any kind of
> production, Jackd is inappropriate.

Probably not if it's so solid that it can become 'invisible' to the
end user, as is most of the system, and if the right things are put
on top of it for the 'consumer' type apps. But that would amount to
a second API.

> Although Jackd could have the features added to it to make it suitable
> for Jamie Zawinski, I cant see anyone rushing to do that. Chaining a
> desktop server to use Jackd as the backend seems more realistic.

Yes, and that was the only point I wanted to make when suggesting
that we should keep the two worlds apart. It's probably a lot easier
for the both developers of 'consumer' apps and those of the 'pro'
stuff. Their expectations of what consist a good API *are* different.
But I wouldn't mind if *everyone* used jack :)

You could compare this to what is expected from a file system. In Unix,
a file is just an unstructured array of bytes. That's the most basic
format you can have, and what many users (here, user == developer)
expect. But there are others who write things organised into records
and fields, take VMS style file versioning for granted, etc. Should
all of this be put into a general file system ? Of course not - just
build it on top of it, and everybody can be happy.

--
FA