Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 09:16:41 EEST

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 02:10 +0000, Lachlan Davison wrote:
> So i think the goal really needs to be as Jay said, it just works.

Agree 100%, but we need to be fully aware that this we are tackling a
problem that no one has ever solved. OSX "just works" because Apple
controls the hardware and has full access to the specs. And on Windows
it most certainly does not "just work", if you don't believe me see all
the horrible hacks (eg forcing a "Standard PC" install to disable ACPI)
on every Windows audio tuning web site,

We are trying to provide an OSX like experience but support the range of
hardware that Windows does. Microsoft has more dollars at its disposal
than any entity in history, and they have not solved this problem yet.

jwz can put that in his pipe and smoke it.

Lee