Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: multi-client hell

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 23:41:32 EEST

> I've long wanted to add samplerate conversion to jack, but
> haven't made my mind on how it should be implemented.

AFAIK JACK isn't intended to do samplerate conversion on the
fly. To do this, you need something on top of JACK (maybe a
soundserver) or between JACK and the actual hardware (maybe
DMIX).

> I would like to see all,
> mplayer/arts/esd/gstreamer/helix/etc.. to use jack as an
> audio interface. Currently the situation is too complex and
> implementing alsa/oss/whatever interface to every
> application is also too complex.

We're currently discussing this in the other thread ;-) .

> There are too many
> variations on how these things are handled. For example not
> all clients allow me to use /dev/dsp9 as audio device as I
> would like. Then there are still conflicts on number of
> applications using the same audio devices.. And then all
> the sampleformat, etc. issues.

There are even applications which don't tell you in any way
which subsystem these use so you have to guess about it :( .

> Jack would fix most of these in lowlatency way suitable for
> number of different applications from gaming to music
> producing.

I think so too but there are people who have other opinions.

Best regards

    ce