Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio SimplyWork Great?

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 00:59:23 EEST

> * Want audio on GNU/Linux? Use ALSA + jack _directly_.

This means that some audio applications will suddenly be
unable to output sound, and still work is needed to prepare
JACK for this special task.
I think that the approach of using DMIX between the ALSA
driver and JACK can be a pragmatic solution until all apps
are jackified. Of course, at the same time, such a system
reduces the need to jackify other apps :( .

> * Distros like Linspire are already doing it (¿in the same
> way that Suse did with ALSA?) Why aren't you??? (in a
> polite way, of course :-P) * More stuff like that.

Can somebody confirm that Linspire is using JACK per default?
I heard it several times, but I didn't try it out for myself
Anyone seen Linspire running?

> It's simple, and we as a LA* comunity have our contacts
> with each part of the libre software world. Just a matter
> of starting preaching it, I guess...

Well, from Wednesday to Saturday the Linuxtag will happen just
500 meters from here. It's europe's biggest event on free
software, and as I'm there managing an audio booth, you can
be ensured that I'll at least talk to the desktop guys.

Furthermore, I was invited to hold two talks about audio, one
desktop talk and one "pro" talk. Be ensured that after these
talks everyone at least knows what JACK is ;-) .

Best regards

    ce