Re: [linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

From: Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 11:53:01 EEST

Le 20 juin 05, à 10:19, Jay Vaughan a écrit :

> At 19:13 -0700 19/6/05, ian esten wrote:
>> just a small correction: jack midi is not yet in cvs. if anyone wants
>> use it, they have to grab the latest set of files and patches from the
>> jackit-devel mailing list, and apply them to jack >= 0.99.0. i will
>> soon
>> put up a page where i will maintain the latest patch set until jack
>> midi
>> makes it into cvs.
>> ian
>

> out of curiosity (and i'll go search the jackit archives too), how
> easy will it be to make Jacks' MIDI capabilities support non-ALSA MIDI
> libs, such as MidiShare?

Good question....

I would say that one the may problem is that jack MIDI does not has the
concept of time-stamps in the "future" . The Jack MIDI "events" are
received in real-time (similar to what MidiShare does with the Receive
callback concepts) but have also to be delivered in real-time.
In the absence of any scheduling mechanism, I don't think the
MidiShare API could be re-built on top of the underlying Jack MIDI
buffer transports system.

Stephane Letz