Re: [linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

From: Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 22:26:58 EEST

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 15:02 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> Skype and other closed source apps which refuse to support ALSA
> properly, leading to tons of useless bug reports and users blaming the
> problem on ALSA.

> A close second is bonehead vendors like Nvidia who STILL won't release
> enough information on their hardware to allow proper drivers to be
> written,

>From the other side, I just find it a bit funny that some people insist
that ALSA is the Right(tm) way to do things and others ways are the
Wrong(tm) ways to do things.

My personal opinion is that ALSA is needlessly complex sometimes and
it's still Linux-only (afaik). OSS may be insufficient for some other
uses. Sometimes there are some specific reasons to do things some way or
another. The reasons may not be clearly evident for someone who is
looking things from different angle.

I don't have any problem with having number of different driver models,
especially when number of different ways to abstract those exist
already.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>