Re: [linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ? - ALSA

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 01:10:37 EEST

> > -OSS/ALSA Conflicting modules in hotplug. Hotplug seems
> > to make a mess in many systems i've seen, of loading ALSA
> > and OSS modules at the same time, by rendering the system
> > audio unusable.
>
> compiling a kernel to have both OSS and ALSA modules around
> makes a mess of many systems i've seen.

I can confirm that. Since I learned to build my own kernel and
I disabled all OSS stuff I get much better results.

As an example, I often received sysex packages the first three
bytes missing. Disabling USB/usb-midi (which is in fact an
OSS driver) resolved the problem.

BTW: Any kernel hacker here? When disabling the OSS drivers
completely, /usb/USB-midi and /USB/usb-audio should be also
disabled automatically, and both options should be marked as
"Deprecated" as OSS is. Any chance we incluzde this in the
kernel config?

Best regards

    ce