Re: [linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 01:10:40 EEST

> -Saving/Restoring your project is just painfully hard. LASH
> doesnt help, and even when I came up with the idea of it in
> the first place.

In my opinion an application shoud remember the last used
document and optionally reload it at start time...

> -Adding/Removing softsynths, linking
> connections, etc takes a while having to use qjackctl, etc

...as well as optionally redoing audio and MIDI connections
just like Hydrogen does. If an application saves this
information to the config file as soon as it is known
(looading/saving a file, doing connections), it is even crash
save. I think that this is in the responsibility of a
particular application instead of an additional external
server.

[...]

> But overall, what mostly annoys me of linux audio is that
> most API programmers just implement
> the features THEY use and need, and not what others may
> need. And since they mantain the thing,
> even adding them yourself is pointless, as they will most
> certainly not accept patches. Ok, that's
> fine, they are on their right to do it, after all i'm not
> paying them to do it, they work for themselves.

I'm a normal user, but I was amazed when I started filiing bug
reports and feature requests how many of them have been
adopted. I never demanded on anything, I simply wrote "it
would be nice if..." and I got very positive results (of
course also some negatives, that's life).

Best regards

    ce