Re: [linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

From: Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 19:06:47 EEST

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 00:32 +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:

> AFAIK this is caused by technical reasons, and so I think: Any
> application that still uses /dev/dsp is an application that
> sucks.

I think non-portable Linux-only applications suck, as badly as
non-portable Win applications.

ALSA doesn't exist on *BSD or Solaris, so I'm not going to make any
ALSA-only application.

> There are numerous ALSA applicaitons out there, so if you need
> example code use the advantage of free software and look into
> their code or even C&P.

I have the C++ code to use OSS, ALSA 0.5 (and also the QNX variant) and
ALSA 1.x. Those classes have basically the same interface.

I still haven't seen proper tool for doing asound.conf for example
M-Audio Delta1010. And I don't want to support all the n+1 newbies on
how to edit their ALSA configuration to do something meaningful.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>