Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help - Continuous controllers

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 22:09:42 EEST

Hi Paul,

Paul Davis wrote:
>>See: Mouse/keyboard/hw controller ----> Gui <----> Engine
>

> and then day, someone says "Can we control this with OSC?" and your
> second diagram becomes a curse rather than a blessing.
>
> the people who came up with MVC were not gods, but they were
> smart. MVC is the way it is for a reason, or for several reasons.

I proposed an idea, Paul Coccoli discussed it, so I developed.. But I must
confess I like to consider a hardware midi controller as a standalone UI, rather
than plug it into the GUI.

Actually, I just started from the following assumption : a midi hardware
controller is a input device, among keyboard, mouse and others.

The idea would be to "abstract" this input device from the developer point of
view, just as the keyboard and mouse. I developed this idea into one direction,
which may be wrong, but I still believe my assumption to be right.

>>I recognize that sticking the midi layer into gtk would forbid to run the app
>>headless (you can still switch your monitor off ;-), or do some other ui, with
>>curses, etc... But sometime, one prefer to go straight to the point, and anyway
>>gtk is portable.
>
> portable to what? OS X ... i think not, at least not for the better
> definitions of portable.

That was not my main point. Sorry if I wrote an error here. I just know that GTK
runs on windows and OSX. I don't know the limitations of this portability.

--
   og