Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help - Continuous controllers

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 20:13:36 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
>>Actually, I just started from the following assumption : a midi hardware
>>controller is a input device, among keyboard, mouse and others.
>

> the problem is that its also an output device, for some midi h/w. add
> this into the situation, and you start to realize that the midi h/w is
> actually a "GUI" just like the one on the screen. forcing one GUI to
> be mediated by another seems odd.

Okay, let me try to improve this...

Assumption v0.2 : a midi hardware controller is a set of input and output
devices, and is in its nature identical to the more conventional monitor,
keyboard and mouse.

And because I like ascii diagrams, here is where this assumption drives me :

  | input & output | <----- X ------> | GUI Toolkit | | Application |
  | devices | <---- Midi ----> | (gtk, etc..) | <---> | (MVC or not) |
  | | <-- Whatever --> | | | |

About configuration : there are tools to map keys to letters for a keyboard, so
there could be tools to map knobs to controllers in case of a midi box.

This is all theoritical, but can it be considered false ?

--
   og