Re: [linux-audio-dev] Arbitrary bufsizes in plugins requiring power of 2 bufsizes, Was: jack_convolve-0.0.10, libconvolve-0.0.3 released

From: Benno Senoner <sbenno@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 23:20:47 EEST

fons adriaensen wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:02:24PM +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:
>

>>What other goodies does it have?
>>

>Nothing special. I'd like to add a mode using multiple block
>sizes for minimal delay. This is not trivial and requires
>

>multiple threads as well.

Another very useful feature would be tail extension (combine convolution
with
traditional reverb processing to lighten the CPU load)

one commercial product that implements it:
read the "Lighten the load on your CPU" section:
http://www.tascam.com/Products/GigaPulse.html

That way you can run for example a softsampler with more reverb
instances (for multi part setups) and lower latencies
(thus playable in real time) without killing the CPU.

I'm not expert on the matter .... Fons, Florian do you think such a cpu
load decreasing trick (without any/only a little audio degradation)
would be doable without too much troubles ?

cheers,
Benno