Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help - Continuous controllers

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 23:17:56 EEST

>On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:44:18AM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>> 1 - a friend of mine showed me his brand new evolution uc33 midi
>> controller. He's using that with a windows-based software called "Live". I
>> was really suprised to see that this software use exactly what I proposed
>> in this thread. First you enter a "capture-mode", you click on some GUI
>> widget, then you rotate some knob, that's it : it's assigned. I promise I
>> never saw a such thing when I had exactly the same idea.
>
>Doesn't ardour allow this type of binding midi CC's to mixer controls?

indeed, it does. and as other posters have noted, the method used is
to have the GUI as an intermediary only for the binding: when you
start the binding process, its done using a GUI (View/Controller) object, and so when
the MIDI data arrives, the GUI hands off the MIDI data to the Model
object represented by the GUI object. the binding is made between
Model objects and MIDI, not GUI objects and MIDI, even though it is
initiated at the GUI leve.

subsequent MIDI data (corresponding to what was bound) is sent
directly to the Model, not the GUI (View/Controller). The GUI is
updated when/if the Model changes state in response to the incoming MIDI.

--p