Re: [linux-audio-dev] Why alsamixer starts with all the volumes settings in 0?

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 19:19:25 EEST

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:01:28PM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> Hi everyone! I was just wondering why alsamixer starts with all volume
> settings in cero. I guess there should be an aswer to this, so I decided
> to ask you. What I didn't know was if to ask here or to lau's list, so I
> decided to go directly to the designers :-)

It's by design so that people don't get their ears or speakers blown by
default volumes being too high, asfaik.

> Also, it is possible to, at least, lstart with the main volume and
> pcm/wav just a little bit raised? I think this would help when
> configuring alsa, specially for newbies.

The alsasound init script uses alsactl to store mixer settings when run
with the stop case. On startup it restores those settings. Once you've
installed alsasound in /etc/init.d/ and made the appropriate symlinks in
your runlevel directories this happens automatically.

Of course, it would probably help if this script got installed
automatically. It comes with the alsa-drivers tarball. I'm not sure how
demudi and ccrma deal with it. Ideally users shouldn't have to think
about it.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia