Re: [linux-audio-dev] best soundcard revisited

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 17:59:26 EEST

Aaron wrote:
> Ok youre right,
>
> Here is what I am using it for:
> 1. taking hundreds of hours of analog recordings of single people
> singing and recording them to harddisk then editing them and restoring them. The
> recordings are both mono and stereo.
>
> 2. Do the same thing with digital recordings from minidisk or mp3
> recorders.
>
> 3. possibly creating demo mixes.
>
> In summation for the current project at most stereo recording and if
> it makes a quality difference 2496, if not cd quality.
>
> mic and line in spdif in and out why not?
>
> The main issue I was asking about was the best sound card as far as
> linux support.
>
> Multitrack is not needed.

For what you are doing, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 may be just what you
need. It has two analog in, two analog out, one stereo SPDIF in, and
one stereo SPDIF out (plus MIDI in/out). I think you get it for under
$100, and it has great Linux support (including the envy24control
utility), plus it has 36-bit DSP, hardware mixing and monitoring. This
card does NOT have microphone inputs, you will need a mike pre-amp or
mixer w/pre-amps for that (M-Audio makes a nice little mike pre-amp also).

-- Brett
Programmer by day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.chapelperilous.net
http://www.alhazred.com