Re: [linux-audio-dev] desktop audio resumed

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 00:35:00 EEST

> There's absolutely no need for the sound server, it's just
> bloat.

Maybe. But I think at the time where the soundservers have
been introduced it was a wise decision.

If KDE and Gnome choose to support Gstreamer in the future, it
will be more than just a soundserver. AFAIK it can also share
and pipe other media stuff like video between applications. I
currently have the same prob with video as DMIX solved for
audio: I have a webcam and want to use it in two
applications, but as soon as /dev/video0 is used by one
application, it's blocked - the story will be continued ;-) .

> > So, the mess will persist. I'm really glad that the ALSA
> > team has put efforts in DMIX and enabled it per default
> > so multiple soundservers can coexist.
>
> It would be really depressing if people actually got the
> idea that this was OK "now that we have dmix".  DMIX should
> be seen as a reason to deprecate the sound servers.

Would be great, but I'm not sure if this will happen.

Thanks & best regards

    ce