Re: [linux-audio-dev] please help: enumerating library requirements

From: Michael T D Nelson <m_nels@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 16:44:40 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> the only reason it hasn't defeated mp3 is that the
> overwhelming majority of all compressed music format music players do
> not support it. do you have any idea how hard it is for a windows user
> to play even an ogg file?

I only respond because I feel that this may mislead any passing Windows
user who happens to read this post.

I've never had a single problem playing an ogg vorbis file in Windows.

For example, Winamp plays ogg files, and is very simple to download and
install. I believe you can also get codecs to play ogg files in
DirectShow media players (including Windows Media Player). Look here:
http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

There are undoubtedly some (very inexperienced) Windows users who might
not want (or may not be able) to work out how to do any of this this.

However, that is *not* because it is "hard" to play oggs in Windows. At
worst, it is slightly inconvenient; but it is not a difficult thing, at
least in my experience.

Maybe there are other difficulties, which I haven't heard of.

Regards,
Michael Nelson

PS Thanks Paul, for all the invaluable work you've done. I just got
ardour recording from my soundcard for the first time last night. I've
been looking forward to this moment for almost three years now!