Re: [linux-audio-dev] WAVE-EX File Format Spec

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 01:39:12 EEST

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 17:01, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Libsndfile can read/write WAVE-EX files. It uses the SF_FORMAT_WAVEX
> format type to distinguish it from SF_FORMAT_WAV.

I've been eyeing Libsndfile for the past couple of years. It looks quite
solid. We've been using the Secret Rabbit for some time now, and are very
pleased with it. The only thing that really has kept us from
enthusiastically adopting Libsndfile as well has been lack of Broadcast Wave
File (BWF) support. You can find BWF documented in EBU Pub 3285, at:

http://www.ebu.ch/CMSimages/en/tec_doc_t3285_tcm6-10544.pdf

A couple of the Supplements are important for our purposes too:

Supplement One - MPEG Audio
http://www.ebu.ch/CMSimages/en/tec_doc_t3285_s1_tcm6-10545.pdf

Supplement Three - Peak Envelope Chunk
http://www.ebu.ch/CMSimages/en/tec_doc_t3285_s3_tcm6-10483.pdf

We do not need to transparently encode or decode MPEG data to PCM (we use a
hardware codec for that), but we do need to be able to read/write raw MPEG
frames into the DATA chunk as defined in Supplement One. Given your
long-standing policy of non-support for MPEG, I was not sure if this was
something you would be interested in adding to libsndfile.

To get an idea of our target application, you may want to see:

        http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development |
| | Salem Radio Labs |
| A successful tool is one that was used to do something undreamed of |
| by its author. |
| -- S.C. Johnson |