Re: [linux-audio-dev] WAVE-EX File Format Spec

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 02:49:50 EEST

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 19:14, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> When I get a bit of time (yeah right :-)) I'll take a look at the
> BWF stuff.

Nothing like having a truck back up and dump a bunch of standards docs on your
desk... :)

> However, since you already have a hardware MPEG codec (where the
> hardware manufacturer pays the licensing fees), you might want
> to look at the sf_read_raw/sf_write_raw interfaces:
>
> http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/api.html#raw
>
> The warning about reading/writing compressed format being undefined
> is mainly warning about mixing raw read/writes with standard read/
> writes which use libsndfile's internal codecs. This would not be
> an issue for your case.

This is pretty much the approach I had in mind. Rivendell is at a crossroads
right now where I need to add two key features:

Surround-sound support (hence WAVE-EX)
OggVorbis and OggFLAC

So, it sounds like this could be a strategic point to make the switch. Would
you accept patches to add BWF functionality? There would be no MPEG codec
support -- I quite understand the patent concerns. Merely the ability to
create and parse the proper chunk structures, dealing only with raw MPEG
frames.

> PS : Libsndfile is very close to having full Ogg Vorbis support
> (Conrad ???). Would that be enough for you to drop or at
> least partially replace MP3?

Actually, I don't care that much about MP3 -- Layer 2 support is what we
primarily need. If Ogg were available, we'd still need L2 for backward
compatibility, but I suspect it would rapidly become a 'legacy' format.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development |
| | Salem Radio Labs |
| There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. |
| -- Henry Kissinger |