[linux-audio-dev] Radio Scanner Recorder

From: Guillaume Filion <gfk@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 04:47:22 EEST

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the world of audio on linux, so please excuse the
"newbeeness" of my question. :-)

I'm a in the process of making a police/EMS/fire radio recorder. At
first, I tought of doing a program similar to ScanRec(1) from the
windows world -- that is not record when the sound is below a certain
threshold. This could easily be done with ecasound's -ge parameter.

However, I started thinking and found that it would be better to have a
different file for each segment. For example, if there is
- 45 seconds of speech, followed by
- 3 minutes of silence, followed by
- 2 minutes of speech
I would get two files, one 45 seconds long and one 2 minutes long.

Does such a program allready exists, and if not, what would be the
best/easiest way of doing it?

1: http://www.davee.com/scanrec/

Thanks a lot,
GFK's