Re: [linux-audio-dev] Radio Scanner Recorder

From: Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 29 2005 - 03:10:45 EEST

Hi Guillaume

> I'm a in the process of making a police/EMS/fire radio recorder. ...
> However, I started thinking and found that it would be better to have a
> different file for each segment. For example, if there is
> - 45 seconds of speech, followed by
> - 3 minutes of silence, followed by
> - 2 minutes of speech
> I would get two files, one 45 seconds long and one 2 minutes long.
>
> Does such a program allready exists, and if not, what would be the
> best/easiest way of doing it?

Although it uses the OSS API, you might like to take a look at
batchrec-1.2.0, available in source-form only on my website at

  http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~jwoithe

There's no autoconf support, but it shouldn't be difficult to get going on
any modern Linux distro, and is reasonably well documented via the "-h"
command line parameter. It's tested and developed under Slackware.

>From the sound of your description, batchrec will probably do what you want.
The code is a little "quick and dirty" and probably needs tidying up, but it
does the job. It's textmode only at this point mainly because I can't be
bothered writing a GUI for it at the moment. You also get levelmeters to
monitor the level coming in. It's OSS-only because for me it works, does
what I need and I've been short of time in recent months. I have been
toying with the idea of writing a native ALSA and/or jack backend to it, but
that is probably a way off yet.

Anyway, have a look and see if it does what you need. Perhaps contact me
off-list if you have specific followup questions.

Regards
  jonathan