Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: libcui - design-question

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 15:37:11 EEST

Hi!
  First of all: Thanks for all the answers, ideas and discussions. I enjoyed
reading it.
  Mario: Sometimes I couldn't figure out against what you are protesting? Is
it things like gnopernicus or also things like my library idea? - I know of
midi.el, but I second Arnold and Aaron, I don't like lisp and emacs. I've
great dificulties using it.
  Fons: This MVC concepts sounds very good. And yet I do like applications
where you can use commands (as long as you have some help and info available).
BTW: Do you know a program besides telnet to access LS? I hate it that I can't
move the cursor and I can't do line-editing. Besides that it's a nice thing to
use.
  As stated: I do like apps where you can type commands, I use ecasound,
fluidsynth and LS. But in some cases a useful ncurses-based interface could be
nice and easier (I say midi-sequencers: Just click a checkbox...)
  But one of the most powerful reasons to think about this idea is: To make it
easier for programmers. I am one person on the recieving end. I'm not a very
good programmer and I'm definitely not good at reading other people's code. So
I ask someone to think about a textbased UI. But for them - I thought - the
easiest way to do it, is some way, they know from their GUIs.
  Libcui only for blinds? No! This library should definitely fullfill the
needs to be useable from blinds and perhaps people with other disabilities,
but that doesn't mean it's unspeakably ugly and unsueable for others. I just
want to make sure, that a lot of conditions are fullfilled (moving hardcursor,
not depending on colour-attributes, be line-oriented).
  I'll definitely consider a look into the libcdk, to see what they've done. -
BTW: someone said to have a look into SuSE's yast2. They did it, but as any
blind person could probably say: The text-UI is not very nice to use with a
braille-display. A bit more care and the UI could look the same, but be much
more useable.
  Kindest regards
       Julien

--------