Re: [linux-audio-dev] libcui - design-question

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 21:56:29 EEST

[Simon Jenkins]

>On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 13:04 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
>>
>> I know of no language that fits this bill better than python.
>>
>Lua perhaps?
>http://www.lua.org/
>
>There's a somewhat Lua-oriented comparison here:
>http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaVersusPython

That's a very interesting read, with lots of experience from people
into embedding either language it seems. "The Pythonic way is to
extend rather than embed", one of the many quotes worth pondering.

>From my experience, python threading is not as problematic as this
discussion paints it. You simply have to live with one big lock; if
you get that right there's nothing keeping you from running multiple
threads. Hard realtime scripting is out of the question anyway.

Lua seems quite nice, yet I'm tempted to think that Python is still a
wee bit more friendly towards non-programmers. But if I was an ardour
architect I'd definitely give Lua serious consideration too.

Cheers, Tim