Re: [linux-audio-dev] libcui - design-question

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 21:09:20 EEST

Hi!
  All you lips-guys: I don't mean to be rude, but: Mario says, that all who
don't like lisp, are those, who don't know (or don't understand) it. And in
the case of extending ardour, that's just the point. I know a lot of people,
who have a lot of dificulties to use scheme-languages, yet concerning
imperative or object-oriented langauges (like c,c++,java,python...) they show
a nice learning curve and easier success. But that's just btw.
  Mario: I definitely second your statement: It's not good, when programmers
just think they use a certain toolkit and their apps are console-compatible,
instead of writing a text-ui. Because of this concern it was, that the idea of
libcui came to life in a way. I wanted to create a relatively easy-to-use and
easy-to-understand API for creating text-based UIs (where easy is from the
GUI-programmer's point). That's why I considered checkboxes, buttons and other
such widgets instead of command-prompts, shell-structures and the like.
  Regarding the pint design for blinds. Not only. It should be blind-friendly,
but besides that, it should also provide it a bit of eye-candy (where possible
in console mode).
  Kindest regards
       Julien

--------