Re: [linux-audio-dev] External audio interface (edirol FA/UA-101)

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 15:10:06 EEST

Daniel Wagner wrote:

> Dmitry S. Baikov wrote:
>
>>> Yes, the FA-101 works but I can't tell you the numbers for latency.
>>

>> The site has a nice table of working setups, but no user emails. I'd
>> ask them directly.
>>
> Pieter Palmers has done some latency measurements. He might have
> some numbers for you.

http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Some_emails_about_latency

To summarize:
the minimum round-trip latency I achieve with our current code is about
8ms, but there are some bugs that pop up at these low buffer sizes.
the minimal round-trip latency that gives rather reliable operation is
about 14ms.

note that I measure 'round-trip latency' by connecting a cable between
output and input of the soundcard and then look at the time difference
between the played sound and the recorded sound.

I'm working on a better driver structure/code that will allow lower
latencies.

Greets,

Pieter