Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sound file format detection?

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 16:15:38 EEST

Mario Lang wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My little time-compressing audio player yatm currently supports 3 different
> audio formats, ogg and speex via the xiph libraries, and mpeg via libmad.
> I currently just blindly try to launch the decoder for either ogg, speex or
> mp3 in series. SO if the first fails, I try the second, and so on. Which
> kinda works but is a bit ugly. I'd like to add flac support at some point,
> which would make this even more ugly.
> Additionally, libsndfile support wouldnt be that bad either, so, I am
> wondering, is there a reliable way to detect a audio streams file
> format just given some bits of the header?

For the vast majority of file formats yes.

> So that I could set the
> appropriate decoder algorithm based on that analysis? Or is
> there actually a library one step higher level than libsndfile which
> does generic audioformat to PCM?

Isn't that what libsndfile does?

BTW, the latest release of libsndfile supports FLAC via the same API
as all the other formats.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
Spammer:     Any of you guys looking for a permanent position in Scotland?
Kaz Kylheku: No, I'm looking for a thug in Scotland who might be interested
             in beating up off-topic Usenet spammers, on a pro bono basis.