[linux-audio-dev] Old tracks finaly recorded and mastered

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 12:36:05 EEST

Hi!

Finaly got around to record a number of old tracks that I created
using nothing but a GEM S3 keyboard in 1997/98 (well, and my
brother's PC for selecting samples and putting them on a floppy for
importing). Previoulsy they only existed on floppy and tape and one
floppy is corrupted already ...

Still in the process of loading them up to archive.org, but some
are there by now:

In order of my own rating, best at the top:

http://www.archive.org/download/s3_07_the_darkness_surrounding_me/thorwil_s3_07_the_darkness_surrounding_me.ogg
http://www.archive.org/download/s3_06_multibeatmode/thorwil_s3_06_multibeatmode.ogg
http://www.archive.org/download/s3_05_leaving_it_all_behind/thorwil_s3_05_leaving_it_all_behind.ogg
http://www.archive.org/download/s3_04_red_sun/thorwil_s3_04_red_sun.ogg
http://www.archive.org/download/s3_02_rave_scales/thorwil_s3_02_rave_scales.ogg
http://www.archive.org/download/s3_03_blue_beat/thorwil_s3_03_blue_beat.ogg
http://www.archive.org/download/s3_08_where_do_i_want_to_go_today/thorwil_s3_08_where_do_i_want_to_go_today.ogg

The detail pages can be reached from here:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Thorsten%20Wilms%22

I wouldn't mind people writing reviews there ;)

All recorded using the focused Timemachine. Cutting and normalizing
with the most enjoyable Sweep. Mastering with the amazing Jamin.
Need to practice that some more :). I wasn't aware of how much
details can be brought to light using compression.

The only problem was having to convert the 32bit float WAVs to
16 bit for lame, as it doesn't recognize that format. I used
sndfile-convert for that. Too bad it doesn't take a flag for
the output format, but requires filenames for that. But thanks
to the nice folks at #lad, it didn't take long to arrive at a
bash oneliner for converting a whole directoy.

---
Thorsten Wilms