RE: [linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

From: Cornell III, Howard M <howard.m.cornell.iii@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 02:12:41 EEST

I stand by my assertion that the RIAA record curve attenuates the low
frequencies and amplifies the high frequencies. The physical effects on
the record are such that the attenuated low frequencies do not cause the
cutting head trace to take up so much room on the master, and by the
same reasoning, the normally low amplitudes at high frequencies are
given more (physical) headroom. Of course the reverse filter would
flatten the frequency response and the use of the record filter
optimizes the use of the master "real estate".