Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

From: Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 00:04:40 EEST

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 14:11 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> i have a music hall turntable, and it is the paragon of great design
> (glass platter!), reasonable cost and sweet sound. i have the mmf-5 with
> a goldring cartridge, feeding a NAD phono preamp.

In europe there's good availability of Pro-Ject turntables
(http://www.project-audio.com). I have a Pro-Ject RPM-4 turntable with
Grado Labs' (http://www.gradolabs.com) Gold MI cartridge which goes up
to 50 kHz in frequency response. Very good for playing direct-cut
vinyls. They also have cartridges for 78 rpm. Pro-Ject also makes phono
preamps, but I have a Creek audio's preamp
(http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/main_content.asp?
catlook=obh&content=obhseries). I've transferred number of vinyls to CD
using this equipment with very good results. Wish there were open source
or even Linux software for authoring DVD-Audio discs to take full
advantage of capabilities of vinyl hardware...

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>