Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mixer controls

From: James Courtier-Dutton <James@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 14:21:30 EET

fons adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 10:59:57AM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>

>>My question is really what should I do when the gain_multiplier is 0.0
>>
>>Do I:
>>a) Limit the range of the gain control to 0dB to -40 dB and have a
>>separate Mute control.
>>b) When the gain control has a gain_multiplier of 0.0, automatically
>>activate the Mute control.
>>c) Some other method.
>

> On most pro mixing desks the fader will go down to zero gain, *and*
> there will be a separate mute button. The mute may have effects beyond
> just muting the signal controlled by the fader, .e.g. it could also
> switch auxiliary sends or have other effects. On a real pro desk it
> will be 'debounced' i.e. do a fast fade in/out.
>
> With some exeptions, most soundcards' mixer controls are not really
> meant to be used as a mixing desk, just to set gains and forget.
> Many cards will have very coarse gain steps for example, and the
> mute function may generate clicks (a sure killer on a pro mixer !).

Thank you.

Ok, I will have a zero gain_multiplier value in the mixer control
slider. I wish to also display in the mixer control a text
representation of the dB gain level. The problem I have is what should I
display for the 0.0 gain_multiplier setting. I.e. When it effectively
mutes the sound output at it's minimal slider setting.

a) -999.0 dB
b) Some other text entirely. Bear in mind that I only have about 4-5
chars of space to put the text in.

James