Re: [linux-audio-dev] SMDITools and ESI4000

From: Pelle Nilsson <perni@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 12:34:54 EET

Hi

Dan Richert <dan.richert@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> I've been trying to get SMDITools working between linux and an E-Mu
> ESI4000.

Me too, once, though I'm afraid I can not help since I do not remember
any details on why it failed.

> also, does anybody know of any linux programs that work with the esi4000
> file system? it would be great to be able to generate programs/banks.

I had some success running ESIWin in WINE, however I am not sure it
allows you to manage programs/banks at a level lower than perhaps
moving banks between disk images.

I tried to use MIDI sample dump instead (slooow). Last time I checked
though I was not able to find any tool to do this and I failed to
write my own from the specs. Perhaps there is a useful Linux MIDI
sample dump utility available now?

There are tools available to create Akai sampler images and the esi
can read some such images from cd. I do not remember how far I got
trying to use this. I was able to make an Akai cd, but I do not
remember how much data I could import from it into my esi.

The only way I have successfully used to transfer samples from the
sampler is saving to floppies and then opening the floppy as raw sound
data in a sound editor...

/Pelle