Re: [linux-audio-dev] Implementing synthesizer????

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 05:45:50 EET

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 12:15 +0900, chandrasheakhar singh wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> After successful implementation of player + synthesizer as a loadable kernel module in linux 2.6.11
> for OMAP
> 2420. My next mission is to implement synth and sequencer seperately in linux kernel 2.6.11.
>
> I dont have much idea of VIRMIDI implementation and how i have to add my synth as default kernel
> synth, though
> GPL issue is still not very clear as we will open our source code for public or not.
>
> Can any one pass me some good link which describe how to implement synth as VIRMIDI and sequncer
> separately in linux 2.6.11.

are you out of your mind? partly kidding, partly serious.

how many people do you think are going to be willing to install your
module into their kernel?

there are several excellent synthesizers and audio players implemented
entirely in user space that have *zero* performance problems when run on
an appropriate low latency kernel.

there is really little reason for making the kernel less stable (and
giving up all the benefits of inter-application audio routing via JACK)
just to write a synthesizer. where did you get this idea?

--p