Re: [linux-audio-dev] Implementing synthesizer????

From: Kevin Hremeviuc <khremeviuc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 08:10:12 EET

Hi,

I think you have several ways you can go with this but
none of them involve making a kernel module. The ways
to go are:

1. make your synthesizer a jack audio client and an
alsa sequencer client
2. make your synthesizer a dssi plugin (sort of like
VSTi in windows)

My preferred option is dssi. If you go down this path
you should look at perhaps the most comprehensive
sequencer currently in linux called Rosegarden. There
is another sequencer but it is in the process of
adding dssi host functionality (Muse).

If you want to please most people then do both 1 and 2
above.

Web pages to look at include:

http://www.ladspa.org/
http://dssi.sourceforge.net/
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
http://www.alsa-project.org/

Jack is built on top of alsa's audio API and allows
multiple audio programs to access a soundcard (merges
the audio) and is designed for low latency. Ladspa is
like VST effects in windows with plugin clients that
run in a host. DSSI is built on top of ladspa and the
open sound control APIs to provide something like VSTi
instruments in windows. Rosegarden is a sequencer that
uses jack for audio, alsa sequencer API for midi
sequencing, ladspa effects and DSSI plugin
instruments.

Kev

--- chandrasheakhar singh <cp_singh@email-addr-hidden>